Saturday 2 March 2013

Introduction - (Draft for comment)

So why would a Gunner be interested in Cyprus? Well, I think it is fair to say that my association with the Island has lasted for all of my Army Career. In my time I've swam in it's blue waters, hiked across it's demanding and extensive mountain range. Performed badly on ski's at its highest point, met some wonderful people either side of its divided border and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of soldiering in this sunshine paradise.

My fascination, however, did not start from my first arrival at RAF Akrotiri. It began much earlier than that, at the age of 13 when I was allowed, finally, to join the Hinckley Squadron of the Air Cadets. Spaced evenly down the Nissan Hut walls were several RAF recruiting posters, and I would often find myself standing in front of one particular image. The scene is an aircraft "pan", bathed in hot sunshine. In the background are the blue waters of the Mediterranean  which serve to frame that venerable warrior of the Cold-War, the "English Electric Lightening". In the immediate foreground is an image of an Airman sporting desert boots, khaki socks pulled to the knee and those off grey shorts so beloved of the RAF. He is shirtless with a great sun-tan, and screwdriver in hand is engrossed in doing something technical to the inner workings of another Lightening.

It wasn't the task in hand that fascinated, it was more to do with the "Sunshine" nature of the posting, next to that impossibly blue water - now that's living.

Once I joined the Army and The Royal Regiment, my first overseas trip was to Cyprus. I stepped down from a C130 Hercules at RAF Akrotiri into an early Autumn sunset, where the temperature was still a balmy 70 degrees fahrenheit. RAF personnel stood about dressed in those self same desert boots, knee high socks, and lightweight shorts and shirts, a mode of dress I never actually managed to rise too. This was Exercise "MOONBASE", later to become "LION-SUN", (more on this later), and designed to last for about 4 - 6 weeks, making the most of the training opportunities that the Island has to offer.

I have since calculated that I have spent almost two and a half years in Cyprus, made up of "LION-SUN", two tours with the UN and an attachment to Headquarters British Forces Cyprus, (HQBFC), in order to deliver training to staff there.

But let me take you back to  my original question above. Unlike other locations that I have served; Gibraltar, Hong-Kong etc. The Gunner presence is indistinct and hard to find. In Gibraltar, Guns and Gunners are, quite literally, "Ubique", (everywhere for those of you who escaped latin at school), and the same could be said for Hong-Kong at one time, (perhaps not now). Yet how can this be of Cyprus, which occupies a key strategic location in the Mediterranean and for this reason would have to be heavily defended - and such defence will always include Guns, Artillery is the King of the Battlefield after all. Additionally, there is no doubt that Gunners have bled and died on that island, as witnessed by the gravestones at Wayne's Keep Military Cemetery. And yet the presence is muted, if apparent at all, and it is this story I wish to uncover.

So join me - comment, collaborate, submit, criticise as you will - all are welcome, but I promise no accolades at the end - an acknowledgement at best, but another chapter of Gunner History is recorded before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment